By Richard Gray
- The such a lot complete and up to date background of yankee literature to be had today
- Covers fiction, poetry, drama, and non-fiction, in addition to other kinds of literature together with folktale, spirituals, the detective tale, the mystery, and technological know-how fiction
- Explores the plural personality of yankee literature, together with the contributions made by means of African American, local American, Hispanic and Asian American writers
- Considers how our realizing of yank literature has replaced over the past?thirty years
- Situates American literature within the contexts of yank background, politics and society
- Offers a useful advent to American literature for college kids in any respect degrees, educational and basic readers
Read or Download A History of American Literature PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
While it was once released in 1979, Sandra M. Gilbert and Susan Gubar's The Madwoman within the Attic: the girl author and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imaginationwas hailed as a pathbreaking paintings of feedback, altering the way in which destiny students could learn Jane Austen, Mary Shelley, the Brontës, George Eliot, and Emily Dickinson.
The early surrealists tried to create artwork without delay from the subconscious, however the ensuing paintings usually finds the stamp of its age. it truly is commonly accredited sure macho sensibility prevailed in the circulation, except for queer sensibilities and decreasing girls to item prestige. In startling new readings of Breton, Bataille, Cocteau, Artaud, Crevel and others, Justin Vicari examines the intersections among surrealism and psychological sickness, deploying an interdisciplinary strategy, consisting of aesthetic thought, radical politics, and psychoanalysis.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2008 im Fachbereich Anglistik - Literatur, word: 2,0, Bayerische Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (Anglistik), Veranstaltung: Proseminar: Pastoral Novels, 6 Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: while the 1st model of woman Chatterley’s Lover was once released in 1926, the readershad been stunned, since it used to be approximately intercourse.
Our bodies and Machines is a amazing and persuasive exam of the body-machine complicated and its results at the smooth American cultural mind's eye. our bodies and Machines, first released in 1992, explores the hyperlinks among suggestions of illustration and social and clinical applied sciences of energy in a variety of realist and naturalist discourses and practices.
- Picture Freedom: Remaking Black Visuality in the Early Nineteenth Century (America and the Long 19th Century)
- Bret Easton Ellis: American Psycho, Glamorama, Lunar Park (Bloomsbury Studies in Contemporary North American Fiction)
- W. Somerset Maugham: Volume 4 (Collected Critical Heritage)
- David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest: A Reader's Guide
- The Funeral of a Giraffe: Seven Stories by Tomioka Taeko
Extra info for A History of American Literature
A History of American Literature by Richard Gray